Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Françoise et Suzanne

We have houseguests right now and when invited to choose some music to listen to from my dad's ginormous CD collection, they picked Leonard Cohen's greatest-hits album. They weren't previously familiar with Cohen (guess they missed that part of the '60s) and wanted to educate themselves. Otherwise, though I like Cohen, he's not my idea of good music to play when company is around. For me, it's rainy-day wallow-in-depression-and-in-your-unmade-bed music. You have to be alone and in the right mood.

Interestingly, earlier today (a quiet gray Portland day), I had watched a video of Françoise Hardy singing a French-language version of Cohen's song "Suzanne." Beautiful woman, beautiful voice, beautiful song. In French, the first line becomes "Suzanne takes you to hear the mermaids."


Video originally posted on frogsmoke.com--merci!

No comments: